We wish to advise you of some of the recent changes brought to patent practice in the wakeof two revisions to the Korean Patent Act (and the Utility Model Act) promulgated onFebruary 29, 2016 and March 29, 2016 and to be effective as of June 30, 2016 and March 1,2017 respectively.
1. Introducing a system of cancellation of patent registration to prevent a defective patent
2. Shortening the period of time for filing a request for substantial examination from 5 years to 3 years
3. A system of submission order for examination outcomes in the base country of priority claim
4. Adoption of measure to suspend procedures by party in infringement litigation till the time of decision of the trial action for invalidation or cancellation
5. Enhancing the degree of liability imposed upon patent infringer for damages by the court order to submit evidentiary materials of trade secret